Thursday, June 11, 2015

Floating shelves

I wish I would have taken a before photo, you can see some of the pics our big and bulky entertainment center. Our living room is fairly small and it's all we got until our basement is finished. New Years day I was itching for a project, so the two seemed to go hand in hand. I had in mind that I wanted to do floating shelve for awhile.
 

To begin we started by deciding on a size and building frames for the shelves to sit on. The length of our shelves are 4' by 1'. We used  two by fours with four feet across the back and 12" pieces on each end and two in the middle. Screwing it all together was tough! Once we had the frames put together we nailed them to the wall (checking to make sure we nailed it right into the studs).
After the frames were nailed to the wall (and one long trip to Home Depot) we got all the finished wood together to finish the project. We decided to go with white finished white board to match the baseboards and doors in our house. Upon measuring for the side boards we failed to measure for the width of the board and so there was a gap on the corners. We got corner pieces and glued them on. Which actually made me love them more!


Here is the finish project with it all decorated. I was so excited to have so much room in our living room! It opened it up so much!
Here is the final pic with the TV mounted (The hubs payment for helping me) There is so much more and I am still in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment